Re: Issues with inconsistent COLLATION installation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
Cc: "Cory Nemelka" <cnemelka(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issues with inconsistent COLLATION installation
Date: 2019-09-09 21:08:29
Lists: pgsql-general

"Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org> writes:
> I can reproduce this by creating a new locale *after* starting
> PostgreSQL and trying to use it before a restart.

That is interesting. I think it must mean that glibc's setlocale()
and newlocale() maintain some kind of internal cache about available
locales ... and there's no logic to flush it if /usr/share/locale
changes. The individual backends are probably inheriting the cache
state via fork from the postmaster.