Re: BUG #1757: timestamp 'epoch' is not absolute

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Bennett, Steve" <s(dot)bennett(at)lancaster(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1757: timestamp 'epoch' is not absolute
Date: 2005-07-07 20:52:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Bennett, Steve" <s(dot)bennett(at)lancaster(dot)ac(dot)uk> writes:
>>> It appears that the timestamp 'epoch' is being interpreted as
>>> relative to the local timezone, rather than being an absolute time.
>>
>> This is correct for timestamp ... you want timestamp with time zone.

> Sorry, but that's dumb (IMHO). The unix epoch is not relative to the
> local timezone.

Sorry, but you're out of luck on that. A timestamp without time zone
cannot represent any absolute time at all --- assuming that it does
amounts to ascribing a timezone to it, which we don't do in general.

Perhaps it would make more sense to refuse the "epoch" keyword in the
context of timestamp without timezone ...

> create function epoch(integer)
> returns timestamp with time zone
> as 'select timestamp with time zone \'epoch\'
> + interval \'1 second\' * $1;'
> language sql immutable;

> Is there a better way?

You might want to call this to_timestamp(), since that's what it's going
to be called in 8.1 ;-)