Re: PostgreSQL HardWare

From: tony <tony(at)animaproductions(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL HardWare
Date: 2002-01-05 09:45:47
Lists: pgsql-general

> Adding a second CPU to a machine you're building yourself costs a
> (relatively) very small amount of money, but nearly doubles the capacity
> of the machine, and greatly extends it's useful lifetime. I think that
> the benefits far outweigh the cost - adding a second CPU may add 20% (or
> less) to the cost of the machine, but get you an 80% increase in capacity.

I agree 100% on this. I have a bi-Celeron 500 at one of my clients and it is a very fast machine when compared to my single Athlon 800. Everything just seems so much more snappy.

SCSI 160 and software RAID with two mirrored drives and only 256 Mb RAM.

I would now go for 3 drives in RAID 5 and 1 Gb RAM. Building a machine like this yourself is a lot cheaper than buying. I usually charge a days labor for building the box and software installation and take a 40% margin on the hardware and am still cheaper than any equivalent quality machine.

When you build yourself you do have a tendancy to use the best components money can buy. Unlike certain "name brands" that I won't name here but which I have oppened to look inside.

If I had to buy a machine I would buy IBM.

Cheers

Tony

--
tony(at)animaproductions(dot)com

JWebMail WebMail/Java v0.7.6 WWW to Mail Gateway