Re: mistakes in postgresql-snapshots (7.3)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <stehule(at)kix(dot)fsv(dot)cvut(dot)cz>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: mistakes in postgresql-snapshots (7.3)
Date: 2002-08-14 05:33:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Is this something we need to address for 7.3?

Peter pointed out that he'd already hacked pg_dump to do the right
thing (or at least what is arguably the right thing) against older
databases. That covers LANGUAGE, FUNCTION, and other objects-within-
a-database cases. pg_dumpall doesn't yet do the right thing at the
database level, but I believe he's planning to take care of that.

A larger problem is that this only works if you use 7.3 pg_dump
to dump your older database. If you dump with your then-current
pg_dump, you'll be unhappy with the permissions that result after
reloading into your new 7.3 server.

I'm not sure there is anything we can do about this without making
life worse. But it's annoying. Any thoughts?