Re: event trigger API documentation?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: event trigger API documentation?
Date: 2013-04-17 21:16:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/17/13 3:20 PM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>> It would have been good to have at least one untrusted language with
>> > event trigger support, so that you can hook in external auditing or
>> > logging systems. With the existing PL/pgSQL support, the possible
>> > actions are a bit limited.
> Well, you do realise that the only information you get passed down to
> the event trigger code explicitely are the event name and the command
> tag, and nothing else, right?

Offhand, that seems about enough, but I'm just beginning to explore.

Chances are, event triggers will end up somewhere near the top of the
release announcements, so we should have a consistent message about what
to do with them and how to use them. If for now, we say, we only
support writing them in PL/pgSQL, and here is how to do that, and here
are some examples, that's fine. But currently, it's not quite clear.

Surely you had some use cases in mind when you set out to implement
this. What were they, and where are we now in relation to them?