Re: controlling the location of server-side SSL files

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: controlling the location of server-side SSL files
Date: 2012-02-29 19:20:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On ons, 2012-02-08 at 09:16 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Yes, ignoring a missing file in a security context is definitely not good.
>> It should throw an error.
>>
>> We have a few bad defaults from the old days around SSL for this, but if it
>> requires breaking backwards compatibility to get it right, I think we
>> should still do it.

> Btw., should we also consider making similar changes on the libpq side?

I think that breaking compatibility of libpq's behavior is a whole lot
harder sell than changing things in a way that only affects what people
have to put into postgresql.conf. We've always treated the latter as
something that can change across major versions.

In particular, I observe that we get pushback anytime we break something
in a way that makes SSL config files be required on the client side;
see bug #6302 for most recent example.