cpu utilization question

From: "Wright, George" <George(dot)Wright(at)infimatic(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: cpu utilization question
Date: 2008-09-18 15:09:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

We're running Suse 10.2, PG 8.1.5, PHP 5.2.

We're seeing high CPU percentages for multiple instances of postmaster:
15 - 30% for each instance. I realize a new instance is spawned for each
connection that is opened and we have lots of clients sending very small
text messages to our app for which we record a row per message.

We also have other periodic jobs that get kicked off but don't use near
the cpu percentage that postmaster seems to.

Is there a way to minimize postmaster's cpu usage or is there some way
to share that process between requests?

Thx.