Re: Remove AIX Support (was: Re: Relation bulk write facility)

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Michael Banck <mbanck(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Remove AIX Support (was: Re: Relation bulk write facility)
Date: 2024-02-29 09:55:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 29 Feb 2024, at 10:24, Michael Banck <mbanck(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 12:57:31AM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:

>> Then these users should have paid somebody to actually do maintenance work on
>> the AIX support,o it doesn't regularly stand in the way of implementing
>> various things.
>
> Right, absolutely.
>
> But: did we ever tell them to do that? I don't think it's reasonable for
> them to expect to follow -hackers and jump in when somebody grumbles
> about AIX being a burden somewhere deep down a thread...

Having spent a fair bit of time within open source projects that companies rely
on, my experience is that those companies who need to hear such news have zero
interaction with the project and most of time don't even know the project
community exist. That conversely also means that the project don't know they
exist. If their consultants and suppliers, who have a higher probability of
knowing this, hasn't told them then it's highly unlikely that anything we say
will get across.

--
Daniel Gustafsson