Re: Unarchived WALs deleted after crash

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unarchived WALs deleted after crash
Date: 2013-02-15 16:02:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15.02.2013 17:12, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 15 February 2013 14:31, Heikki Linnakangas<hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
>>> - /*
>>> - * Normally we don't delete old XLOG files during recovery to
>>> - * avoid accidentally deleting a file that looks stale due to a
>>> - * bug or hardware issue, but in fact contains important data.
>>> - * During streaming recovery, however, we will eventually fill the
>>> - * disk if we never clean up, so we have to. That's not an issue
>>> - * with file-based archive recovery because in that case we
>>> - * restore one XLOG file at a time, on-demand, and with a
>>> - * different filename that can't be confused with regular XLOG
>>> - * files.
>>> - */
>>> - if (WalRcvInProgress() || XLogArchiveCheckDone(xlde->d_name))
>>> + if (RecoveryInProgress() || XLogArchiveCheckDone(xlde->d_name))
>>> [ delete the file ]
>>
>> With that commit, we started to keep WAL segments restored from the archive
>> in pg_xlog, so we needed to start deleting old segments during archive
>> recovery, even when streaming replication was not active. But the above
>> change was to broad; we started to delete old segments also during crash
>> recovery.
>>
>> The above should check InArchiveRecovery, ie. only delete old files when in
>> archive recovery, not when in crash recovery. But there's one little
>> complication: InArchiveRecovery is currently only valid in the startup
>> process, so we'll need to also share it in shared memory, so that the
>> checkpointer process can access it.
>>
>> I propose the attached patch to fix it.
>
> Agree with your diagnosis and fix.

Ok, committed. For the sake of the archives, attached is a script based
on Jehan-Guillaume's description that I used for testing (incidentally
based on Kyotaro's script to reproduce an unrelated problem in another
thread).

Thanks for the report!

- Heikki

Attachment Content-Type Size
unarchived-wal-removed.sh application/x-sh 383 bytes