Re: setTimestamp(int, Timestamp, Calendar) ignoring time zone?

From: Ian Pilcher <arequipeno(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: List <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: setTimestamp(int, Timestamp, Calendar) ignoring time zone?
Date: 2013-02-04 16:36:57
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 02/04/2013 04:40 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:
> What is the underlying data type ? Timestamp with timezone or without ?

Dave -

The column type is timestamp *with* time zone. Your question tends to
confirm what I suspected after re-re-re-reading various bits of Javadoc,
along with this:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/4B2F2CED.10400@opencloud.com

I.e. when a java.sql.Timestamp is created from a long, it represents an
absolute point in time, so "taking into account a custom timezone"
doesn't make any sense. I guess that it might makes sense when using a
timestamp without time zone, although, I'm getting a headache just
trying to think through how that might behave.

Thanks!

Ian Pilcher arequipeno(at)gmail(dot)com
Sometimes there's nothing left to do but crash and burn...or die trying.