Re: Visual Studio 2012 RC

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Visual Studio 2012 RC
Date: 2013-01-24 05:13:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/24/2013 11:28 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 01/24/2013 09:38 AM, Noah Misch wrote:
>> The most notable difference is that I have no pre-VS2012 Microsoft
>> compilers installed and no SDKs installed by my explicit action. I
>> suggest assessing how the Framework64 directories get into your path
>> and trying without them. nm
>
> Have you verified that 64-bit builds work? I'm testing now, but I've
> just confirmed that my machine isn't quite right.
OK, 64-bit builds with the x86_amd64 cross-compiler work. I cannot test
native x64 builds as Microsoft no longer appear to release the native
x64 compilers in any free SDK, but I see no reason there would be
problems, nor any reason to hold back the work just in case. A 64-bit
cross compile produces perfectly reasonable, working 64-bit binaries.

I have some final revisions to propose for the documentation but
otherwise this looks ready for commit.

I don't like the section on the Windows SDK at all. With all the
variations it's grown cumbersome and it's unnecessary to install for
most people. It may even cause problems - building an old Pg against a
new WinSDK may introduce compatibility issues. I propose to omit that
section entirely, and instead amend the section that discusses VS
versions and compilers to mention that you can build with:

- VS 2008 to 2012 (no SDK required)
- Microsoft SDK 6.0a to 7.1 with included compilers
- VS 2005 + separately installed Microsoft SDK

I'd really like to link to the wiki for details of how to set up each
environment, as the details change when Microsoft releases new SDKs and
breaks old ones, new workarounds turn up, etc. I know we don't usually
link to the wiki from the docs, but I feel in this case it's justified.
I can just mention "look for Windows installation information on the
PostgreSQL wiki" but would prefer a direct link.

Thankyou for documenting the locale issues. That will save somebody's
sanity someday. I'd love to test the locale changes in detail, but
available time doesn't permit that, and I don't see anything that will
affect the behaviour of Pg when built with an older Visual Studio.

I've attached a patch with my amendments to the documentation. I think
that with that, it's ready to go, but I'd like your final approval of
the docs changes before I flag it ready for commit. The patch doesn't
link directly to the wiki; if everyone's OK with that I'd like to get
this in now and add any changes like that as a separate revision. It's
also been pushed to https://github.com/ringerc/postgres/tree/vs2012

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Visual-Studio-2012-VS-11-build-support-by-Brar-Pieni.patch text/x-patch 28.1 KB