Re: Visual Studio 2012 RC

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Visual Studio 2012 RC
Date: 2013-01-21 09:32:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/01/2013 10:54 AM, Noah Misch wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 07:53:51AM -0400, Noah Misch wrote:
>> The only matter still requiring attention is a fix for IsoLocaleName().
> Following off-list coordination with Brar, I went about finishing up this
> patch. The above problem proved deeper than expected. For Windows Vista,
> Microsoft made RFC 4646 tags the preferred way to denote a locale in Windows.
> Microsoft calls them "locale names". Starting with Visual Studio 2012,
> setlocale() accepts locale names in addition to all the things it previously
> accepted. One can now use things like "initdb --locale=zh-CN" and "CREATE
> DATABASE foo LC_CTYPE = 'pl'". This meant updating win32_langinfo() and
> find_matching_ts_config() to handle the new formats. In passing, I fixed an
> unchecked malloc() in win32_langinfo().
>
> In addition to expanding the set of valid locale inputs, VS2012 changes the
> (undocumented) content of _locale_t to hold locale names where it previously
> held locale identifiers. I taught IsoLocaleName() to handle the new material.
> I also sought to improve the comments on IsoLocaleName(); its significance was
> not previously clear to me. This thread has some background:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4964B45E.5080003@hagander.net
>
> Though I'm not entirely sanguine about digging into the officially-opaque
> _locale_t, we have been doing it that way for several years. None of the
> alternatives are clearly-satisfying. In particular, I found no good way to
> look up the code page corresponding to a locale name on pre-Vista systems.
> The CRT itself handles this by translating locale names to locale identifiers
> using a lookup table. The Gnulib "localename" and "setlocale" modules are
> also interesting studies on the topic.
>
> In previous reviews, I missed the need to update pgwin32_putenv(). The
> addition of VS2010 support had also missed it, so this catches up. That
> function has other problems, but I will hold them for another patch.
>
> Tester warning: if you currently have some form of VS2010 installed, including
> the compilers of Windows SDK 7.1, beware of this problem:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10888391/link-fatal-error-lnk1123-failure-during-conversion-to-coff-file-invalid-or-c
FYI, you can properly fix this without uninstalling anything, giving you
a system with a working VS 2012 as well as working SDK 7.1 / VS 2010 SP1
32-bit and 64-bit compilers.

Install the tools in the following order:

* VS Express 2010:
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-2010-express
* Windows SDK 7.1
* VS 2010 SP1: http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=23691
* VS 2010 SP1 Compiler Update:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=4422
* VS Express 2012

Note that SDK 7.1 and VS 2010 will fail to install if you have a newer
version of the Visual c++ 2010 runtime installed. Newer programs often
install this for you. As a workaround, you must uninstall the newer
runtime, install Visual Studio, the SDK, and service pack, then
reinstall the newer runtime to get the programs that require it to work
again.

I've written more about both of these in the TROUBLESHOOTING section of
https://github.com/2ndQuadrant/pg_build_win/blob/master/README.md