Re: Do I have a hardware or a software problem?

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Niels Kristian Schjødt <nielskristian(at)autouncle(dot)com>
Cc: Evgeny Shishkin <itparanoia(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Do I have a hardware or a software problem?
Date: 2012-12-12 23:26:36
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 13/12/2012 12:22 AM, Niels Kristian Schjødt wrote:
> Well, In fact I do (as you can see from my configuration). I have a
> similar server running with hot standby replication - and it runs two
> 3T HDD in a RAID1 array.
>
> So - is it still very bad if I choose to put four intel 520 disks in a
> RAID10 array on the other production server?
So long as you have it recording to a synchronous replia on another
machine and you're fully prepared to accept the small risk that you'll
have total and unrecoverable data corruption on that server, with the
corresponding downtime while you rebuild it from the replica, it should
be OK.

Alternately, you could use PITR with a basebackup to ship WAL to another
machine or a reliable HDD, so you can recover all but the last
checkpoint_timeout minutes of data from the base backup + WAL. There's
small window of data loss that way, but you don't need a second machine
as a streaming replication follower. barman might is worth checking out
as a management tool for PITR backups.

If the data is fairly low-value you could even just take nightly backups
and accept the risk of losing some data.

--
Craig Ringer