Re: Timing events WIP v1

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Timing events WIP v1
Date: 2012-11-16 08:20:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/16/2012 02:26 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Extending this to save the key/value set and most of the other data I
>> mentioned before is pretty straightforward.
> Why not use Hstore? Seriously?
The only issue I see is that hstore's text format is non-standard, not
widely understood and a pain to work with in applications. You can
always write queries against it in Pg and extract normal row sets of
key/value pairs, so it's not a big problem - but I'd want to think about
adding a built-in `hstore_to_json` if we were going to use hstore to
manage the data, since json is so much more widely understood by client
applications.

Not that implementing `hstore_to_json` is exactly hard, mind you, as a
quick search shows: https://gist.github.com/2318757