Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL
Date: 2012-11-07 23:54:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/2/12 11:17 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> -Add a configuration subdirectory to the default installation.
> Needs to follow the config file location, so things like the
> Debian relocation of postgresql.conf still work. Maybe it has zero
> files; maybe it has one that's named for this purpose, which
> defaults to the usual:
>
> What do you mean by "needs to follow"? In particular, do you mean that
> it should be relative to postgresql.conf? I think that would actually be
> a *problem* for any system that moves the config file away, like debian,
> since you'd then have to grant postgres write permissions on a directory
> in /etc/...

I should have just said that the rules for the directly location are the
ones implied by the include-dir feature.

My understanding is that Debian Postgres installs already had writable
config files in etc, so that you can modify the postgresql.conf,
pg_hba.conf, etc. Here's a Squeeze server running the stock 8.4 plus
9.1 from backports, and /etc/postgresql/<version>/<cluster> is writable
by the postgres user:

$ ls -ld /etc/postgresql/9.1/main/
drwxr-xr-x postgres postgres /etc/postgresql/9.1/main/

$ ls -ld /etc/postgresql/8.4/main/
drwxr-xr-x postgres postgres /etc/postgresql/8.4/main/

$ ls -ld /etc/postgresql/9.1/main/postgresql.conf
-rw-r--r-- postgres postgres /etc/postgresql/9.1/main/postgresql.conf

$ ls -ld /etc/postgresql/8.4/main/postgresql.conf
-rw-r--r-- postgres postgres /etc/postgresql/8.4/main/postgresql.conf