Re: Re: Increasing work_mem and shared_buffers on Postgres 9.2 significantly slows down queries

From: "Gunnar \"Nick\" Bluth" <gunnar(dot)bluth(at)pro-open(dot)de>
To: Petr Praus <petr(at)praus(dot)net>
Cc: Marcos Ortiz <mlortiz(at)uci(dot)cu>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Increasing work_mem and shared_buffers on Postgres 9.2 significantly slows down queries
Date: 2012-11-03 17:09:03
Lists: pgsql-performance

Am 03.11.2012 16:20, schrieb Petr Praus:

> Your CPUs are indeed pretty oldschool. FSB based, IIRC, not NUMA.
> A process migration would be even more expensive there.

Ok, I've actually looked these up now... at the time these were current,
I was in the lucky situation to only deal with Opterons. And actually,
with these CPUs it is pretty possible that Scott Marlowe's hint (check
vm.zone_reclaim_mode) was pointing in the right direction. Did you check
that?

> Yes, same behaviour. I let the shared_buffers be the default
> (which is 8MB). With work_mem 1MB the query runs fast, with 96MB
> it runs slow (same times as before). It really seems that the
> culprit is work_mem.

Well, I'm pretty sure that having more work_mem is a good thing (tm)
normally ;-)

--
Gunnar "Nick" Bluth
RHCE/SCLA

Mobil +49 172 8853339
Email: gunnar(dot)bluth(at)pro-open(dot)de
In 1984 mainstream users were choosing VMS over UNIX. Ten years later
they are choosing Windows over UNIX. What part of that message aren't you
getting? - Tom Payne