Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
Cc: 'Chris Corbyn' <chris(at)w3style(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL
Date: 2012-10-30 22:02:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/29/2012 03:14 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:

> On Monday, October 29, 2012 7:11 PM Chris Corbyn
>
> > What's the use case of this? It sounds like it will just create a
> maintenance nightmare where some stuff you expect to lookup in in
> postgresql.conf is actually hiding in the .auto file. Assuming only
> super users/sysadmins would have the ability to change things in the
> config file, wouldn't they be more likely to just do it on the server
> and edit the .conf (which among other things, keeps it tidy and orderly).
>
> Basically after this user will have 2 options to change the
> postgresql.conf parameters.
>
> One is by directly editing the postgresql.conf file and
>
> Other is by using SQL commands.
>
> There will be nothing hidden in .auto file, it's just that it will
> create separate file for parameters set by SQL command to avoid the
> hassles of parsing the postgresql.conf during the processing of SQL
> command.

If interested I have somewhere pl/pythhonu functions for both looking at
and
changing parameters in postgresql.conf file,

It even keeps the old value and adds comments both to old and to the new
one abot who an when changed it.
Could also be extended to fpr example rotate last 10 postgreSQL conf
files and/or skip rewriting the file in case the effective value of GUC
did not change.

Cheers,
Hannu