install zic binary

From: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: install zic binary
Date: 2012-10-23 14:40:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Every year we have a ton of questions about updating the time zone data in
Brazil (our politics decided to do it at 90min at the second half). Problem is
that there is not sufficient time to release a new minor version with an
updated time zone data. It is not a problem for *nix because zic binary is
available (even without --with-system-tzdata option) but on Windows, you are
hosed (you have no option but build source code). Should we have pg_zic?

Sometimes we need to update time zone data but can't upgrade. Why?

* you're stacked in an unsupported version;
* your code is relying on a strange behavior that was changed in a minor version;
* a new minor version was released hours ago but politics decided to change
timezone in a hurry (before a new minor version). It happened in my state
(Tocantins) last week -- up to 48 hours before starting DST, we don't know if
we're in or out DST. That's because the governor decided (without consulting
the population) to be in but when people said 'no', he stepped back and
requested the president to be out; that was too late.

[1] http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2012-October/018347.html

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira - Timbira http://www.timbira.com.br/