Re: Executing a query and returning the result set using the SPI

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Nuno Morgadinho <neqm(at)lockstep(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Executing a query and returning the result set using the SPI
Date: 2004-01-31 17:27:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Nuno Morgadinho <neqm(at)lockstep(dot)org> writes:
> Ideally, I would want to make the example function return the
> information as a "set" and not through elog() so I can later access it
> and print it using PHP.
> I have a few ideas on how this can be accomplished but I haven't found
> any simple example to fully elucidate me.

I think your problem comes from having done
SPI_connect/SPI_exec/SPI_finish every time through the function. Aside
from being really inefficient, this means that after the first call, the
tuple slot you built in the first call has a dangling pointer to a
tupdesc that doesn't exist anymore. You want to do SPI_connect and
SPI_exec only during the FIRSTCALL sequence, and do SPI_finish just
before returning for the last time.