Re: BUG #7534: walreceiver takes long time to detect n/w breakdown

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #7534: walreceiver takes long time to detect n/w breakdown
Date: 2012-10-15 10:13:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On 13.10.2012 19:35, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
>> Ok, thanks. Committed.
>
> I found one typo. The attached patch fixes that typo.

Thanks, fixed.

> ISTM you need to update the protocol.sgml because you added
> the field 'replyRequested' to WalSndrMessage and StandbyReplyMessage.

Oh, I didn't remember that we've documented the specific structs that we
pass around. It's quite bogus anyway to explain the messages the way we
do currently, as they are actually dependent on the underlying
architecture's endianess and padding. I think we should refactor the
protocol to not transmit raw structs, but use pq_sentint and friends to
construct the messages. This was discussed earlier (see
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4FE2279C.2070506@enterprisedb.com),
I think there's consensus that 9.3 would be a good time to do that as we
changed the XLogRecPtr format anyway.

I'll look into doing that..

> Is it worth adding the same mechanism (send back the reply immediately
> if walsender request a reply) into pg_basebackup and pg_receivexlog?

Good catch. Yes, they should be taught about this too. I'll look into
doing that too.

- Heikki