Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden(at)netbsd(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects
Date: 2002-01-23 19:57:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bill Studenmund <wrstuden(at)netbsd(dot)org> writes:
> One of the things schemas have to support is essentially a PATH specifier.

Yes, but...

> So all we need to do is have all of the schemas created in a new DB have
> path specifiers pulling in all of the other schemas. Thus we can make a
> schema-savy system act as if it has only one namespace.

When you create a new user, do all those path specifiers for the
existing users magically update themselves? Seems like maintenance
would be a pain.

Fernando's "any" idea is probably a cleaner way to handle it if we
wanted to do things like that. But I still think it'll be safer and
more controllable if we provide a "public" namespace instead; see
followup discussions.