Re: Pg 8.3.x on RHEL 6.3?

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: Rosser Schwarz <rosser(dot)schwarz(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PgSQL ADMIN <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pg 8.3.x on RHEL 6.3?
Date: 2012-10-11 05:05:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 10/11/2012 05:15 AM, Rosser Schwarz wrote:
> In preparation for that effort, I've been asked to avail myself of the
> collective experience and wisdom of the wider community to see if
> anyone has seen anything unexpected, or any kind of misbehavior in
> running 8.3 on RHEL 6.3.

I've not noticed any reports of issues specific to RHEL 6 on any version
of Pg here, and would be surprised if any issues were to occur.

Consider retaining your old server for a little while, running as a warm
standby with log shipping. In the exceedingly unlikely case that you do
run into issues you can fail back to the old server.

Migrating from 8.3 to 9.1 or 9.2 isn't a big hurdle, since you're
already past the implicit-casts-from-text stuff. About the only thing
really likely to bite you is the bytea_output change to hex, and that's
a trivial postgresql.conf change if you want to preserve the old
behaviour while fixing code.

I can understand not wanting to undertake it at the same time as a
hardware change, but you should probably schedule it for sooner rather
than later and start testing on the new version once you're on the
updated OS & HW.

--
Craig Ringer