Re: Add FET to Default and Europe.txt

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Marc Balmer <marc(at)msys(dot)ch>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add FET to Default and Europe.txt
Date: 2012-10-08 08:05:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 08.10.2012 10:03, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 6 October 2012 22:40, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
>> Thus for example "MSK" apparently now means GMT+4 not GMT+3. We can
>> change the tznames entry for that, but should we get rid of "MSD"
>> entirely? Some input from the Russians on this list would be helpful.
>> Comments?
>
> It shouldn't be our job to make decisions like this on behalf of the world.

I wish it wasn't, too. But I don't think there's any "upstream" for this
information. The tz library has abbreviations for timezones, but they're
not unique.

> * Make the tz file configurable, so people can be more explicit about
> what *they* mean by certain codes, to avoid the need for choosing
> between countries. For example, someone may have hardcoded particular
> codes with the understanding they relate to one particular TZ - if we
> make changes, we will alter the application logic, so that must be
> able to be "put back" for backwards compatibility.

It is configurable. See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/datetime-config-files.html.
We're just discussing what the defaults should be.

- Heikki