Re: BUG #14874: Dublicate values in primary key

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Subject: Re: BUG #14874: Dublicate values in primary key
Date: 2017-10-28 03:56:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> writes:
> I agree with your conclusion, but I still think that it's slightly
> ambiguous. There didn't seem to be an issue with sequences going
> backwards -- the actual complaint was about there being multiple
> versions of the same logical row visible simultaneously (sequences
> were mentioned in passing). This is probably a case of tuples within a
> HOT chain experiencing some kind of "resurrection". Though that in
> itself doesn't prove much of anything.

Yeah, I wondered about that, particularly in view of the multiple
tuple-freezing bugs we've found. If the damage were in just one table
I'd believe it for sure ... but I'm not sure I believe it across 5
tables.

But the bottom line is the same: update to 9.4.latest (which is *not*
12 btw), and double-check storage reliability.