Re: Application using PostgreSQL as a back end (experienced programmers please)

From: Bill Dika <wadika(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PGSQL-Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Application using PostgreSQL as a back end (experienced programmers please)
Date: 2005-11-15 01:30:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thanks for all your responses. You have given me much to think about.

Thanks for the offer operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot) I will google some of
the terms in your post (adodb?, Lemos' Forms?) and get back to you.

Ilias, I think that C# would take me too long to learn (if I could learn it
at all ;-)). The same goes for Java, which I understand is a difficult
language. My strengths are in accounting and income tax. I have only taken
one computer course in my life and that was an introductory course to Linux.
I am self taught in computers and can only devote spare time to this
project. Everything I've heard about C and its associated languages suggests
power and portability but with those features comes a steep learning curve.
Thanks, Ilias, for replying to my post.

Hi Steve. I will look into Qt. Also I will rethink a browser interface.
Where I work we have some professional income tax software that runs in
Windows (and is quite expensive). It does not use a web interface.
Furthermore, I think that if it did use a web interface, it would not be
nearly as responsive as it is. That is why I was thinking of not using a
browser. I use SQL-Ledger for my own bookkeeping. It is written in Perl,
uses PostgreSQL as a backend and a browser for a front end. While I like the
program very much and enjoy the freedom of using it as compared to something
like say, Quickbooks, there is a noticeable delay when loading a form. This
delay seems to be much less in stand alone programs that do not use a
browser. Or am I wrong about this? In any case your suggestion, along with
the response from operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com has caused me to rethink
using a web based solution.

Thanks again for all your responses. They are much appreciated.

Regards,
Bill Dika