nooby install login security problem

From: Brian Wolf <brw314(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: nooby install login security problem
Date: 2009-09-12 00:12:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

I have loaded postresql 8.4 on my Windows xp computer from a zip file
(not using one-click install).

i start the system , it says "database ready to accept connections"

I try to log in through phpPgAdmin (4.2.2) my problem is it won't let me
log in under any name i try, password or no password because of "security
reasons"

config.php file i set this:

$conf['extra_login_security'] = false;

i did use the name "postgres" during installation, for the name of the
"limited account" i created as in instructions.

my pg_hba.conf file looks like this:

# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD

# IPv4 local connections:
local all all trust

host all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust
# IPv6 local connections:
#host all all ::1/128 trust

I have not changed the pg_ident.conf file.

tnx, brian