Re: Bad Data back Door

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bad Data back Door
Date: 2012-10-06 02:14:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/05/12 6:12 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Now, having said that, I think it has to be the reponsibility of the FDW
> to apply any required check ... which makes this a bug report against
> oracle_fdw, not the core system. (FWIW, contrib/file_fdw depends on the
> COPY code, which will check encoding.)

I'm not sure of that. what if the FDW is used to connect to (say) a
postgres database that is in POSIX/C ? is that checked for?

I'd like to see some encoding validation and substitution functions in
postgres. for instance, one that can take any supported encoding and
convert it to the database encoding and generate an error on any invalid
character. this translation could be identity (eg, UTF8->UTF8)
whereupon it would just validate. a 2nd function would do the same,
but replace errors with the substitution character in the target charset
and not error.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast