Re: data set combination of integer and decimal/numeric returns wrong result type

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: the6campbells <the6campbells(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: data set combination of integer and decimal/numeric returns wrong result type
Date: 2012-10-01 12:03:10
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 09/29/2012 07:11 AM, the6campbells wrote:
> select intcolumn from t1
> union
> select decimalcolumn from t2
>
> select intcolumn from t1
> union
> select numericcolum from t2
>
> then look at nullif, coalesce, case when end variants using combinations
> of the two data types

Those aren't complete, runnable statements. Provide table definitions
and real statements if reporting a bug, please. Show expected vs actual
results on PgJDBC and (if possible) other DBs and JDBC drivers. If
possible provide standalone Java code that compiles and runs to
demonstrate the bug; that way the code can be run against any patched
driver versions to see if they fix the issue.

Also, please reply to the mailing list, not directly to me.

> compare the specification in ISO-SQL 20xx to Postgres in general and as
> applicable via the Postgres JDBC driver if that is colouring the issue etc

Quotes and page numbers / section numbers?

Please be more specific. While I could probably find the details, it's
currently time I cannot spend on that.

--
Craig Ringer