Re: PostgreSQL, OLAP, and Large Clusters

From: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Ryan Kelly <rpkelly22(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL, OLAP, and Large Clusters
Date: 2012-09-26 20:58:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On 26/09/12 23:50, Ryan Kelly wrote:
> Hi:
>
> The size of our database is growing rather rapidly. We're concerned
> about how well Postgres will scale for OLAP-style queries over terabytes
> of data. Googling around doesn't yield great results for vanilla
> Postgres in this application, but generally links to other software like
> Greenplum, Netezza, and Aster Data (some of which are based off of
> Postgres). Too, there are solutions like Stado. But I'm concerned about
> the amount of effort to use such solutions and what we would have to
> give up feature-wise.
>
> We love a lot of the features that we currently have that (I think)
> would only be available with Postgres: arrays, hstore, gin/gist indexes,
> extensions. Not to mention a lot of the other great SQL standard
> features not available in other open-source databases, especially window
> functions and CTEs.
>
> Of course, migration to another solution is feasible (with enough
> effort, of course), but given my experiences with Postgres and the
> support provided by the community that is second to none, I'd very much
> like to stay with PostgreSQL.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Ryan Kelly

You might find it worth while to consult a reputable vendor of Postgres,
such as EnterpriseDB, who contribute change back to the community. As
you may have rather specialized needs beyond the capacity of these
mailing lists. Also, I suspect paying them to help improve Postgres's
capability to handle such large datasets would be cheaper than an Oracle
Licence and costs of migration!

I don't have any specific knowledge of the current ability of Postgres
to support such high loads, so I can't comment meaningfully on that.
And even if I could, and it was favourable, I would still recommend
getting a competent company to provide consultancy for your particular
situation.

Cheers,
Gavin