Re: Mapping one to many

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Nabil <Nabil(at)kramer-smilko(dot)com>
Cc: lefevre(dot)10(at)osu(dot)edu, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mapping one to many
Date: 2007-06-13 18:57:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- Nabil <Nabil(at)kramer-smilko(dot)com> wrote:
> Also there are better forms, other than row/column, in
> which to module data but there any Databases that support them.

I am not sure what you have in mind when you say that there are forms that are better than
row/colum. Really a table can be thought of as a container that holds specific entities(rows)
each entity is defined by its attributes(colums). However, I would argue that idea of
"row/column" is closer to a spreadsheet rather than a table. Tables are distinctly different from
a spreadsheet.

> If
> you'll notice from my second message I was asking why that is so is
> so and to please enlighten me to the magic of RMDBs. I feel as if
> there is something about RMDBs that will explain alot but is just
> beyond my reach and I what to know what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity-relationship_model
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization

I hope this helps.

Regards,