Re: "make report"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "make report"
Date: 2002-04-23 16:02:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org> writes:
> I was thinking about something like "make report" which would mail the
> results of ./configure to, say, the ports mailing list. We could mention
> it in the text message printed at the end of the make cycle.

I think it'd be a bad idea to encourage people to send mail to the ports
list. For one thing, a pile of nonsubscriber mail would make more work
for Marc, who has quite enough already. If you want to do this, set up
a dedicated mail alias to receive such reports.

(Possibly my thoughts on soliciting mass email are a tad colored by the
amount of virus traffic I've been seeing lately :-( ... if the Klez
epidemic gets any worse I will be forced to shut down jpeg-info, which
is currently seeing upwards of 1000 virus mails/day...)

I do like Joe's idea of embedding a complete configuration report
right into the backend executable, where it can be retrieved long
after config.log has been thrown away.