Re: TAP tests and symlinks on Windows

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TAP tests and symlinks on Windows
Date: 2020-07-03 14:11:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-06-30 14:13, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Attached is an updated patch, where I have tried to use a better
> wording in all the code paths involved.

This new patch doesn't work for me on MSYS2 yet.

It fails right now in 010_pg_basebackup.pl at

my $realTsDir = TestLib::perl2host("$shorter_tempdir/tblspc1");

with chdir: No such file or directory. Because perl2host requires the
parent directory of the argument to exist, but here it doesn't.

If I add

mkdir $shorter_tempdir;

above it, then it proceeds past that point, but then the CREATE
TABLESPACE command fails with No such file or directory. I think the call

symlink "$tempdir", $shorter_tempdir;

creates a directory inside $shorter_tempdir, since it now exists, per my
above change, rather than in place of $shorter_tempdir.

I think all of this is still a bit too fragile it needs further
consideration.