Re: Slow Performance on a XEON E5504

From: Marcos Ortiz <mlortiz(at)uci(dot)cu>
To: Felix Schubert <input(at)fescon(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slow Performance on a XEON E5504
Date: 2012-09-10 20:58:57
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 08/24/2012 05:47 AM, Felix Schubert wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I've got a system on a customers location which has a XEON E5504 @
> 2.00GHz Processor (HP Proliant)
>
> It's postgres 8.4 on a Debian Squeeze System running with 8GB of ram:
>
> The Postgres Performance on this system measured with pgbench is very
> poor:
>
> transaction type: TPC-B (sort of)
> scaling factor: 1
> query mode: simple
> number of clients: 40
> number of transactions per client: 100
> number of transactions actually processed: 4000/4000
> tps = 158.283272 (including connections establishing)
> tps = 158.788545 (excluding connections establishing)
>
> The same database on a Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, 8 cores with 8GB RAM
> same distro and Postgresql Version is much faster:
>
> transaction type: TPC-B (sort of)
> scaling factor: 1
> query mode: simple
> number of clients: 40
> number of transactions per client: 100
> number of transactions actually processed: 4000/4000
> tps = 1040.534002 (including connections establishing)
> tps = 1065.215134 (excluding connections establishing)
>
> Even optimizing the postgresql.conf values doesn't change a lot on the
> tps values. (less than 10%)
>
> Tried Postgresql 9.1 on the Proliant:
> transaction type: TPC-B (sort of)
> scaling factor: 1
> query mode: simple
> number of clients: 40
> number of threads: 1
> number of transactions per client: 100
> number of transactions actually processed: 4000/4000
> tps = 53.114978 (including connections establishing)
> tps = 53.198667 (excluding connections establishing)
>
> Next was to compare the diskperformance which was much better on the
> XEON than on the Intel i7.
>
> Any idea where to search for the bottleneck?
Regards, Felix.
There are many question there:
- Are you using the same disc models in both systems (Xeon and Intel i7)?
- Which are the values for work_mem, shared_buffers,
maintainance_work_men, effective_io_cache, etc ?
- Is PostgreSQL the unique service in these servers?

My first advice is that PostgreSQL 9.2 was released today, which has a
lot of major performance improvements, so,
you should update your both installations to this new version to obtain
a better performance, security and stability.

Best wishes

http://www.uci.cu
http://www.facebook.com/universidad.uci