Re: BUG #6528: pglesslog still referenced in docs, but no 9.1 support

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "stuart(dot)bishop" <stuart(dot)bishop(at)canonical(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,<koichi(dot)szk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Pg Bugs" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6528: pglesslog still referenced in docs, but no 9.1 support
Date: 2012-09-04 17:11:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 02:07:43PM -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

>>> Should we document that?
>>
>> Our shop has been using that since before pglesslog existed, and
>> it has continued to work across many major releases with no
>> change to source code because it doesn't get down to the level of
>> looking at the xlog records themselves, just the segment and
>> page-level structures. I should probably put packaging that up
>> as a proper extension and posting it to PGXN as another thing on
>> the list of things I'll do when I stumble over that pot of round
>> tuits at the end of the rainbow. Right now the source is on
>> pgfoundry. If anybody wants to do anything with it before I find
>> time, feel free.
>
> I was going to add a mention of this to our docs, but it seems
> there are no released files for the project:

There is a single 175 line C source file to generate a stand-alone
executable filter. The source has not needed any changes since it
was finished over 4 years ago. Besides that C file, there is only a
make file. I wasn't sure what form of packaging would be easier
than just checking out the source from the SCM.

What do you think would be the right thing to do with it at this
point?

-Kevin