Re: Draft release notes complete

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Draft release notes complete
Date: 2012-08-30 03:52:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> Where are we on this?
>> Waiting on Andrew.
>>
>> As far as I can see, we need to update the machine to release 4.7, and
>> then install a "skip file" or something like that. Andrew, can you
>> please explain how is that to be used? I don't see it documented
>> anywhere.
> Why does this need to be tied into the build farm? Someone can surely
> set up a script that just runs the docs build at every check-in, like it
> used to work. What's being proposed now just sounds like a lot of
> complication for little or no actual gain -- net loss in fact.

It doesn't just build the docs. It makes the dist snapshots too. And the
old script often broke badly, IIRC. The current setup doesn't install
anything if the build fails, which is a distinct improvement. And you
can see the causes of any failure via the buildfarm logs.

But I don't really have any stake in this, I just created a tiny Module
to help Magnus do what he wanted.

In answer to Alvaro's question, you can disable most steps via a command
line switch --skip-steps, the value of which is a space separated list
of names. I haven't documented it mainly because it was really developed
for use in development. The allowed values are:

install
make
make-doc
install