Re: Let's talk about booth and goodies

From: Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul(at)postgresqlfr(dot)org>
To: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Let's talk about booth and goodies
Date: 2012-08-27 16:12:37
Lists: pgeu-general

Dear members,

So I've settled the context. Now my own toughts.

Once again, this is my own toughts and comments. It has nothing to do
with the PostgreSQL Europe Board, wich I am a member of since the
beggining.

> As today's revenues of PostgreSQL Europe mostly comes from
> sponsorship, specialy from the PostgreSQL Europe Conference.

That's the first argument I want you to consider. Sponsorship brings
us much more money than anything else.

Let's take the SILVER sponsorship level offered at pg.eu conf 2012
Praga: it's 2000 euros to have it.

If you compare to a 5 euro mug sold on booths... And we don't have the
mug for free, we have to buy it too.

So yes, any of us would have to sell some kilograms of mugs to reach
2000 euros "benefit" :)

> I was just wondering if we could do that different about goodies
> on booths, because, IMHO, selling goodies on booths have advantages
> but also disadvantages.

Also, bringing goodies to booths is most often an hard and costly
task. If you ever organised a PostgreSQL booth, you know what is all
about: boxes, boxes, some heavy boxes, some roll'ups, some heavy boxes
again for flyers, because paper is heavy, etc...

So, my proposal is quite simple here, and resides in 3 complemetary
things to do:

1/ we'd just drop the selling activity of our booth for, let's say
"superior goodies" (those generaly sold more than 2 or 3 euro each)

2/ we'd send the visitors that want absolutely a mug or a tshirt to
buy it on our online store at http://postgresqleu.spreadshirt.net/

3/ we'd replace the selling activity with a GIVE AWAY for small
goodies. That's something you may already do (as I do), like giving
away stickers, pens, pins... Those are SMALL and LIGHT. Everyone can
bring some hundreds really easilly. The way goodies are given and
spread is booth's volunteers' choice, off course.

This would have a lot of advantages, like:

* no more dealing with cash on a PostgreSQL booth
* not having someone going with lots of cash in the pocket at the
end of the exhibit

=> also note those two first advantages are great for security...

* not having to bring heavy and sometimes, fragile goodies on site
* not having to find a way to keep them apart the nights between
the exhibition's days
* having more time to discuss PostgreSQL matters
* find more sponsors instead
* encourage more donations or encourage more membership to PG.EU
* others I don't see but that you may think of ?

It would also have some disadvantages, like:

* having to tell the visitors that they can only buy goodies online
* face some frustration from visitors going back home from exhibit
with no tshirt
* having to maintain the online goodies offer (our online store
goodies deserves better yes!)
* contribute to (some kind of) globalization thing and global warming,
despite contracts with online's store may avoid this issue
* others I don't see but that you may think of

What do you think about this proposal ?

Once again, that's only an idea of mine, because Im on some PostgreSQL
booths in events, exhibits etc ... for some time now (since 2005). I
think I could share this experience with you all there.

Hope to read from you soon,

- --
Jean-Paul Argudo
www.PostgreSQL.(fr|eu)