Re: Vacuum error message

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Raymond McKolay" <RMcKolay(at)brittenbanners(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum error message
Date: 2012-08-22 13:49:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

Raymond McKolay <RMcKolay(at)brittenbanners(dot)com> wrote:

>>> The 16396 is a directory under the postgresql/data/base path and
>>> within it are file files named 16768, 16768.1, 16768.2, 16768.3
>>> and 16768.4
>>
>> And can you copy those somewhere else?
>
> I moved the files to the desktop of the server [...] and the same
> error message still comes up.

I'm not sure what you mean by "moved" -- the point was to copy the
contents of the files so that you could determine whether the OS
could read all the pages in the file. Under some definitions of
"move" you would only have touched the directory entries for the
files, which wouldn't give us the information we were looking for.

> Do I need more free space on the server than what the size of the
> DB is in order to Vacuum the DB?

A normal vacuum of the database doesn't require much (if any) disk
space. VACUUM FULL is another story, but you probably don't want to
go there.

-Kevin