Re: Vacuum error message

From: Raymond McKolay <RMcKolay(at)brittenbanners(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum error message
Date: 2012-08-22 14:23:25
Lists: pgsql-novice

> I moved the files to the desktop of the server [...] and the same
> error message still comes up.

>I'm not sure what you mean by "moved" -- the point was to copy the contents of the files so that you could determine whether the OS could read all the pages in the file. Under >some definitions of "move" you would only have touched the directory entries for the files, which wouldn't give us the information we were looking for.

I took the files from the directory they were in and changed the path.
I guess I don't understand how to copy the contents of the file to accomplish what you are asking.
I presumed that by changing the path of the files the vacuum operation would either skip them or error out saying that they were missing.
Could you help with that please?

> Do I need more free space on the server than what the size of the DB
> is in order to Vacuum the DB?

>A normal vacuum of the database doesn't require much (if any) disk space. VACUUM FULL is another story, but you probably don't want to go there.

I am pretty sure that a vacuum full is eventually what needs to happen since the DB contains useless records and I need the disk space given back to the OS.
But then again I'm no expert with postgres so I am only guessing.

Ray