Re: Relocatable installs

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <marcs(at)znep(dot)com>
Cc: <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Relocatable installs
Date: 2004-05-09 07:38:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It's rumoured that Marc Slemko once said:
>> > For Windows, replace config file with "Registry". That is usually
>> > hardcoded for (depending on whether you want it changeable per-user)
>> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\<company name>\<product name> (replace
>> > HKLM with HKEY_LOCAL_USER if you want per-user config).
>>
>> Doesn't registry require admin privilege on the Windows box?
>
> Not if it is in the per user part as Shachar suggested.

Which is a problem in it's own right anyway. To properly write events to
the event log we need to register PostgreSQL as an event source and
specify a message DLL to use. As Magnus & I discussed the other day, in
our case we probably just want a single message of %s in the dll to allow
PostgreSQL to log anything it wants cleanly.
Anyway, the point is that to do that you need to write to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\<Appname>
(off the top of my head) otherwise, the messages logged in the event log
are pretty unreadable. Service installation will also require admin
privileges.
Regards, Dave