Re: gcc 13 warnings

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: gcc 13 warnings
Date: 2023-03-17 08:06:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16.03.23 19:11, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2023-03-16 13:54:29 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> writes:
>>
>>> I think it's just that meson defaults to -O3 (fwiw, I see substantial gains of
>>> that over -O2). I see such warnings with autoconf as well if I make it use
>>> -O3.
>>
>> Oh, interesting. Should we try to standardize the two build systems
>> on the same -O level, and if so which one?
>
> I'm on the fence on this one (and posed it as a question before). O3 does
> result in higher performance for me, but it also does take longer to build,
> and increases the numbers of warnings.
>
> So I just elected to leave it at the default for meson.

AFAICT, the default for meson is buildtype=debug, which is -O0. The -O3
comes from meson.build setting buildtype=release.

I think a good compromise would be buildtype=debugoptimized, which is
-O2 with debug symbols, which also sort of matches the default in the
autoconf world.

(https://mesonbuild.com/Builtin-options.html#details-for-buildtype)

At least during the transition phase I would prefer having the same
default optimization level in both build systems, mainly because of how
this affects warnings.