Re: proposal: variadic argument support for least, greatest function

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: proposal: variadic argument support for least, greatest function
Date: 2019-03-06 15:24:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/6/19 10:12 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Having reviewed the thread, I'm with Andres and Tom. Maybe though we
> should have a note somewhere to the effect that you can't use VARIADIC
> with these.

Perhaps such a note belongs hoisted into the functions-conditional
section of the manual, making a general observation that these things
are conditional *expressions* that may resemble functions, but in
particular, COALESCE, GREATEST, and LEAST cannot be called with
keyword VARIADIC and an array argument, as they could if they were
ordinary functions.

Regards,
-Chap