Help me improve the 9.2 release announcement!

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Help me improve the 9.2 release announcement!
Date: 2012-08-04 00:23:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Folks,

Selena and I have started drafting a release annoucement for version
9.2. It still needs quite a bit of polish before it's ready for
translation, but I'd like to make it final within a week.

We're going with a 2-part theme: Performance/Scalability, and JSON.
Among other things, this means leaving a major feature (Range Types) out
of the release announcement. However, I couldn't find a way to make
range types fit with a general theme, *and* they are hard to explain to
reporters and analysts (despite the fact that this is the one 9.2
feature I personally am already using).

Stuff that needs help:

* The intro paragraph is flat and boring. Needs jazzing up without
overloading the superlatives.
* The text on performance is largely a copy of what we already put in
the beta release. Seems like we could have more here.
* Maybe the explanations of the new JSON features could be longer? I'm
not sure.

I've thrown it up on the PostgreSQL wiki in order to enhance
collaboration. If you can see ways to improve the text, please either
edit it or post your own version. Just remember to annotate your edits!

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/ReleaseAnnounce92

Oh, also, the text of the quotes is fixed. I might get new quotes
before press time, but you can't edit what other people are saying.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.