Re: moving from oracle to postgresql

From: dmp <danap(at)ttc-cmc(dot)net>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: moving from oracle to postgresql
Date: 2012-08-03 15:13:46
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

fachhoch wrote:
> We are planning on moving to postgresql from oracle due to high oracle cost.
> Our application uses jdbc , hibernate , moving over to postgresql will it be
> lot of changes or should work with minimal changes?
> I am all new to postgresql.Porting jdbc, hibernate app to postgresql from
> oracle how big can be the migration ?please advice.
>

> --

Seems hibernate should handle most of the transition, but if there are more
native sql queries involved I have found sequences and limit constructs to
be a real pain in Oracle. At least in Oracle10 there is not limit but rather
a ROWNUM. Attached for your email only the differences for that version of
Oracle and PostgreSQL for database data types.

danap.