Re: switch UNLOGGED to LOGGED

From: Leonardo Francalanci <m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: switch UNLOGGED to LOGGED
Date: 2011-04-09 07:29:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I'm pretty sure we wouldn't accept a patch for a feature that would
> only work with wal_level=minimal, but it might be a useful starting
> point for someone else to keep hacking on.

I understand.

Reading your post at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-01/msg00315.php
I thought I got the part:

"what happens if we *crash* without writing an abort record? It
seems like that could leave a stray file around on a standby,
because the current code only cleans things up on the standby
at the start of recovery"

But re-reading it, I don't understand: what's the difference in creating
a new "regular" table and crashing before emitting the abort record,
and converting an unlogged table to logged and crashing before
emitting the abort record? How do the standby servers handle a
"CREATE TABLE" followed by a ROLLBACK if the master crashes
before writing the abort record? I thought that too would "leave a
stray file around on a standby".

Leonardo