Re: Update on 'portal' changes

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Update on 'portal' changes
Date: 2004-03-10 20:56:02
Lists: pgsql-www

It's rumoured that Alexey Borzov once said:
> Hi!
>
> I must apologize for once again starting the flame. English is not my
> native language and I have a tendency of making the statements harsher
> than I really want them to be.
>
> I am of course not thinking that you "do nothing and know nothing", as
> we have a working site right now.

OK, apology accepted. As this has happened more than once though, might I
politely suggest that you count to ten and re-read your messages before
sending them - just in case?
> But I do want to point out that there is too little communication going
> on: between the "insiders", between the "insiders" and (potential)
> "contributors" as well. There is no easily available plan, list of
> things to be done, list of thing being done, whatever.

I agree things are not perfect and could be improved. Some random thoughts:

- Some while ago (iirc following your suggestion) I enabled the tasks list
on the pgweb GBorg project. Let's *all* start using that - I have added a
couple of tasks to get started; please add any more - the smaller the
better so ppl can easily pick one that will take just a few minutes if
they like.
- I outlined a three phase plan as you know. If you have additional detail
for the work you are doing (phase 1) please share it (as numbered tasks on
the project if you like).
- Part of the problem stemmed from lack of communication between Josh and
the rest of us (which he has already explained). This was a simple
oversight, the only part of which I was not aware of being the pgfoundry
name. The project, and surrounding discussions I have followed as anyone
could in -hackers.
- There will *always* be a certain central group of us in this team (yes,
insiders if you like). The reasons for this are twofold - 1) we speak
"officially" for the project as the site webmasters, and 2) we have root
on the various servers. People get into this group generally because they
have proven their commitment to the project over *many* years. There is no
great secrecy about anything we do though - just the odd administrative
decision, and dealing with enquiries from members of the public. You ain't
missin much believe me!
I hope this clears a few things up and allows us to move forward :-)

Regards, Dave.