Re: ZFS vs. UFS

From: Torsten Zuehlsdorff <foo(at)meisterderspiele(dot)de>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ZFS vs. UFS
Date: 2012-07-25 07:00:37
Lists: pgsql-performance

>> On 24.07.2012 14:51, Laszlo Nagy wrote:
>>
>>> * UFS is not journaled.
>>
>> There is journal support for UFS as far as i know. Please have a look
>> at the gjournal manpage.
>
> Yes, but gjournal works for disk devices.

That isn't completly correct! gjournal works with all GEOM-devices,
which could be not only disk devices, but also (remote) disk devices,
(remote) files, (remote) software-raids etc.

It is very easy to mirror the *complete* disk from one *server* to
another. I use this technic for customers which need cheap backups of
their complete server.

But a RAID card will be much faster than this. I just wanted to make
this clear.

Greetings,
Torsten