Re: pgAdmin website problems(?)

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <mjbjr(at)mjbjr(dot)com>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin website problems(?)
Date: 2003-07-09 08:59:36
Lists: pgadmin-support

It's rumoured that Martin J. Brown, Jr. once said:
> Sorry to send this to the list, but there's no link for a webmaster. If
> I'm correct in my observations/questions, hopefully, the responsible
> party will see this message.

He has :-)

> I had a few issues with the pgAdmin web site, particularly in regards
> to pgAdminIII...
>
> filename discrepancy(?)...
> while most files are named as expected, on the page:
>
> http://www.pgadmin.org/snapshots/
>
> 3 files have 'Alpha' in the name, i.e., 'pgadmin3-Alpha-src.tar.gz'.
> Since all of pgAdminIII files are alpha, and 'Alpha' is capitalized,
> one could suspect these files are hardware specific for the 'Alpha'
> cpu, except that there's one for Win32, which, if IIRC, doesn't run on
> the 'Alpha' chip (at least, not any longer ?).
>
> What's the story on the 'Alpha' files?
> If not for the cpu, why is 'Alpha' capitalized?

They are actually symlinks to the latest versions of the respective
tarballs. The capitalisation is purely accidental and certainly doesn't
refer to the good old DEC Alpha! I will correct it as soon as I get a
minute.

> On this page:
>
> http://www.pgadmin.org/snapshots/wxWindows/
>
> there are 'wxWindows' files, such as:
>
> wxWindows-pgAdmin3-20030707.tar.gz
>
> Whats the nature of this file?
> Does it install a complete separate wxWindows installation that could
> be used by other programs, or is it somehow embedded into the pgadmin
> binary (i.e., static(?))?

Because we rely on a cvs snapshot of wxWindows for the Unicode support
that is important to us, rather then tell everyone who wants to build
pgAdmin from source to get the right CVS version, and add any additional
patches, it is packaged here. Unfortunately wxWindows is very unstable at
the moment as I believe their team is restructuring the code
significantly.
> Why aren't there 'README.TXT' files for download dirs.

Where there is a need there usually is one, but in most cases you just
download and run. Don't forget, we are still building the infrastructure
as well, so in numerous places there is work to be done.
> Also, there is no link to the wxWindows web site that I can find, not
> even on the 'Links' page. There should be links to all required
> software.

We haven't built the pgAdmin III website yet - the links page is for
pgAdmin II.
> And no link to the webmaster or other site creation authority.

I thought webmaster(at)domain was a given these days, but even so, my address
is on the front page for queries.
Regards, Dave.