Re: BUG #6735: PANIC: 42501: could not open control file "global/pg_control": Permission denied

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: Petros Tsialiamanis <tsialiam(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6735: PANIC: 42501: could not open control file "global/pg_control": Permission denied
Date: 2012-07-16 15:03:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 07/16/2012 07:54 PM, Petros Tsialiamanis wrote:
> Sorry for the misunderstanding. When I said that I reproduced the
> error in 9.1 version, I mean that I created the PGDATA with 9.1
> postgresql server as 'local system' user and after that I tried to
> start the postgresql server as 'pss-svc' user and I took the error
> message which I sent with my previous mail. So there isn't any
> incompatibility problem with PGDATA.
OK, that helps explain that. Thanks for following up with a current
version, then.

I have a Windows VM on this machine so I'll see if I can reproduce that
issue. I need a bit more information to do so. Specifically I need to
know how the user 'pss-svc' was created, what its group memberships are
and what its rights are ("can interact with desktop", "login as
service", etc).
> As 'pss-svc' user I can open, read and write to the pg_control file (
> I took backup of this file first ).

Open, read and write using what command(s) or programs?

Is there a UAC prompt?

Did you run the CACLS command you were given by John?
> I have exactly the same problem when I try to start progresql server
> as Administrator instead of 'pss-svc' user

If 'pss-svc' user is a member of Administrators or Local Admins, remove
the user from those groups. Pg is quite insistent about not being run as
admin. That shouldn't be the cause of these issues, as it's quite
explicit about it when that's the case, but it's a good idea anyway.

Personally I think Pg should let this up to the user, but that's the way
it is for now.

--
Craig Ringer