Re: FW: Postgres alongside MS SQL Server

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, "Anony Mous" <A(dot)Mous(at)shaw(dot)ca>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FW: Postgres alongside MS SQL Server
Date: 2004-04-23 16:42:09
Lists: pgsql-general

At 06:13 PM 4/23/2004 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > MS built-in task manager doesn't let you kill all processes.
>
>It will let you kill any processes at your own level of permissions,
>just as Unix will. The difference is that a local admin on the machine
>is not equal to root, and can still not kill processes owned by "Local
>System".

Sometimes it won't let me kill notepad or something I'm sure is not owned
by Local System (coz normal users shouldn't be able to start stuff as local
system ;) ). Need to use another tool.

> > postgresql. Which brings us to something I don't know the answer of -
> > what's the safe way of terminating postgresql on a MS server?
>
>I don't know enough about the cygwin version to comment on that one, but
>for the upcoming native version there will be:
>* If running as a service, use service control manager
>* If running in a console window, use Ctrl-C in that window
>* In either case, use the "pgkill" tool (currently on the win32 status
>page, not sure what to do about that when we get to release time. If
>it's to be included, it has to be cleaned up)
>* Possibly a pg_terminate_backend() function inside a pqsl session

Sounds good.

I still think he shouldn't use the cygwin version given that he's in a
situation where he has to ask the question he is asking...

Link.