Re: to_char replacement

From: Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: to_char replacement
Date: 2005-02-01 13:24:50
Lists: pgsql-php

At 12:44 PM 1/24/05, Michael Fuhr wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 06:47:33PM +0200, Raul Secan wrote:
>
> > Hello, since to_char() function will no longer be available from
> > PostgreSQL 8.1 ... I might need to change that from my scripts.
>
>Eh? Where did you get the idea that to_char() was going away? The
>documentation says that to_char(interval, text) is deprecated and
>will be removed, but it says nothing about removing the function
>altogether.

Raul is not the only one who misread that sentence. I thought the same
thing when I read it last week. Reading too quickly, I guess. After
spending several minutes searching for a replacement function, I went back
a reread it, understanding it the second time. Perhaps if
to_char(interval, text) were marked with (*) in table and then (*) note at
bottom, it would be clearer that this sentence does not apply to all arguments.